Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trini Cuisine: Vanilla fudge

So kiddies, here comes another recipe from the Naparima Cookbook! Vanilla Fudge! This is the first time I've ever made this. It's cooling right now. I won't know how it came out until the fudge connoisseurs (i.e. mum and sis) have a go at it when it's cooled.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 tin condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence (I put more cos I love vanilla essence)

METHOD:

  1. Dissolve sugar in approx. 1/4 cup of water over LOW HEAT
  2. Add milk and butter and bring GENTLY to a boil
  3. Boil steadily, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick and creamy 
  4. Remove pan from heat, add essence (DON'T ADD ESSENCE BEFORE. I don't know what will happen if you do but I assume the essence will degrade while cooking rendering your noms inedible) and beat a few times
  5. Pour fudge into a greased pan about 6 inches by 8 inches and leave to cool
  6. When really set, mark in squares with a sharp knife and divide up when cool
Add I know how much you guys love pictures! Pictures make reading fun I think. Don't you?

The sugar and water.

Basically you're making a simple syrup in this step. Sweet!

Simple syrup plus condensed milk and butter

Stirring! I took this one with one hand *clicks tongue in a cool way*

I used foil to line to dish. Makes the dish easier to clean. Make sure to grease the foil

It's cooling under that grease protector thingy to protect from flies. Maybe when it's not so hot I'll put it in the freezer


Look out for an update on the fudge. More pictures!

UPDATE:
My fudge came out terrible. It wasn't cooked down enough so it was goopy. Mum put it back on the stove to cook a bit. When I came back from lessons I met this:
This is when mum was cooking it more. Notice it's darker in colour, more golden

My fudge had hardened when I came back. It wasn't smooth but the texture wasn't that bad either

Mum was eating the fudge from off the spoon. Like licking it like a lollipop



6 comments:

  1. Wow! I never knew this existed! So cool, I want to try it it ^^ Looks yummy, and i love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just gonna post a link to your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. giirrrl you forgot I always online!!! :) Check out a new blog on my editted post, it's another trini chic ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, but it tasted good right? All the fudge I have ever made has been goopy -_- lol, but this looks nice, even though it didn't come out so perfect, I commend you for being able to make it :D Can't wait for you to send some down for meee XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looked scary! Shame it didn't come out the way you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary?? v.v I suppose... But it tastes like condensed milk (I don't even know what fudge is supposed to taste like) but I like condensed milk so I have a couple chunks once in a while during the day.
    @DeadEyes.-_- chica I don't know how you getting fudge from quite down Chaguanas nah! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!