Monday, December 27, 2010

Live to you from the desktop

I'm blogging to you guys live from the desktop at home. Wondering why? The AVG anti-virus software decided to take a little vacation today. I was using my laptop like I usually do and the IMVU client started playing up more than usual. I forced it to shut down and then my whole pc was being stupid and lagging. My laptop battery is "at the end of its usable life" (it's eternally plugged in until the rents can pay for a new battery) so I just pulled the plug and turned off the laptop. Turned it on again and I noticed that AVG was taking forever to come on (for those of you with Windows 7 or Vista will know about gadgets; I had an AVG one) then I saw the flag with the red 'x'. Totally bad news. The flag usually comes up when stuff needs to be done on the pc but when there's a red 'x', things are really bad. AVG was off for some reason. I tried to turn it back on but the program wouldn't even run. Windows Defender was trying its best but I don't really trust it. I tried uninstalling AVG but it refused to get off of my computer. I called my sis to fix it (cos she does I.T. in college) and eventually she got it off and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. For some reason I don't trust this either. It's been scanning for 2 hours and 45 minutes and it says 'malicious or potentially unwanted software may exist on my system'. What the fuck was AVG DOING??? I am totally freaking out. I'm addicted to having my laptop with my personal settings and being on IMVU and StumbleUpon and having all my pictures and everything. I so cannot lose all that stuff! and more so I cannot go back to using the desktop! I have a level of privacy on my laptop that I don't have on the desktop and for some reason the IMVU client refuses to be downloaded on the desktop. I NEED to be on IMVU everyday. I'm addicted. Crazy addicted. I'll be lost without my private property. Sigh...

UPDATE: (8:02pm) Still scanning... Approx 3 hours and 40 minutes have elapsed since the scan started at 4:23pm

7 comments:

  1. Well that's very unfortunate. I've got some recommendations but to avoid sounding like a snob or douche, I won't post 'em. However, I can offer some comforting words of comfort to ya. The data on your laptop is safe, even if your laptop physically fails as long as the drive is okay. With an external drive bay, you could easily retrieve all your data should physical laptop failure occur. Since your sis is an I.T. student, she would most likely know that. I would worry more about getting a replacement battery though. Power outages are annoying and could probably cause you probs down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your douchey-snob comments are welcomed. I'd love to get a new battery but my parents really can't afford it. It's about $2000 for a new battery for my lappy. With respect to the other info, my parents still wouldn't have enough money to retrieve all the info from my hard drive anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. mac, bitch ;)
    *clicks tongue in cool way*

    ReplyDelete
  4. -shakes my head- Oh Ishara my dear. I know my lappy isn't as -clicks- as yours but it does the job mighty well thank you. Maybe when I'm shipped off to college I'll acquire a lappy as -clicks- as yours. By the way, do you like Adventure Time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I do. And oh boy, $2000 for a replacement huh. Reminds me what one of my professors was talking about in relation to modern day technology. He said that tech is getting smaller and smaller in form factor and components are becoming integrated rather than external or hot-swappable. Due to this, repair costs are higher should these devices fail as repairs would need to be cone by certified technicians or by first party repair facilities. I remembered that after he said that, he made a point. When something decides to stop working, just throw it out and get a new one. He said that most likely, replacing a component or repairing the device may cost almost as much and in some rare cases, more than the cost of the device itself. And in the long-run, further repairs would still cost high. I laughed at this but when I had both my desktop and laptop fail on me entirely 2 weeks before my 20th birthday this year, I remembered his words and smashed my desktop to bits in the yard. I didn't get a new desktop but I do have two laptops to switch between whenever. Couldn't be happier. Certainly a full laptop costs way more than $2000 here but the best thing to do in that regard is look for deals with a good in-store warranty and guarantee. Additionally, look for laptops of exceptional build quality. I would never buy a laptop or phone just for looks but for features. A lot of the luxury crap just have a pretty shell and basic guts. Phones are a major example of that. Gosh I wrote too much. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @modnite: Dude, I completely appreciate your comment. I am in NO way a techie but I'm completely open to learning new things. I'm a science fiend so a couple of terms you used are not familiar with me. The thing is that my parents don't have $2000 on hand to just buy a new battery for my laptop or get a new laptop entirely shipped from the US. They need that $2000 for important things like, say, groceries, bills etc. I'd love to have a totally new laptop but right now, it's not possible. I honestly really do appreciate your comment however. Adventure Time rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!